Saturday 8 October 2016

Homemade Sugar Lace for Cake Decorating



Sugar Lace has been popular for awhile.
They are pretty on cakes, cupcakes or even cookies.

In the past I did have a look at pre-made icing and mats,
honestly for me they are very expensive.
Not only because my business is a micro one,
also on pricing the cake, how much do I have to charge if I used them?
Since I never get any request for it, I never bother to buy.

Last week I came across Baking Savvy youtube cannel,
in this video you will see it only need 3 ingredients.
Interesting!  So I gave it a try.

Here is the BakingSavvy youtube video:

Thank you for sharing the recipe, Baking Savvy!! 


I put 1 Tbsp of Tylose first into Pyrex bowl,
then add 1/4 Cup boiling water into it,
mix mix mix.
It didn't take much time before everything comes together,
tylose dissolved, no lumps.


Then I put 1/4 Cup of "Queen" brand Royal Icing Mix into my mixer bowl,
then add tylose mixture into it, I beat it using hand mixer for about 7 minutes,
actually the mixture is already white but I just want to make it look whiter so I add Americolor Bright White into it, then mix again for another 3 minutes.
This is the result.  It looked good!  It works!



Then I spread them on lace mat and non-lace moulds.
Because I made it at night time, I left them overnight to set.
Btw I did re-coat the green mat once again since there were some uncovered "dots".


Here are the results:
 If I were to do it again on lace mat, I would re-coat all of them twice.
Some rounds were off the mat, those were thinner coat.
They do look pretty.  Feels stretchy and rubbery texture at this stage.



 From 'Happy Birthday' mould and feather mould.



 From alphabet bunting and small bow moulds.

From crowns mould.




I decided to leave feathers and bows on cool light windy area for overnight, they hardened up but not as hard as gumpaste, and colored them with shimmer/lustre dust mixed with alcohol.

Still look pretty.  


As for the lace pattern ones, I put 1 into a baking paper, then another on top of paper towel like so:


then stacked them together, fold the baking paper.
They hardened up just a little bit but still stretchy.
In the video, it says just put a little bit of water to bring them back to "life" again.


This much left.


What I would like to share is that this recipe works.
So give it a try {smile).


Thank you for reading...Hope y'all have a great weekend!
>^_^<




No comments:

Post a Comment