Tuesday 24 December 2013

21st Birthday Cake for Tom

I had to delivery 21st Birthday Cake for Tom.  It was ordered by her mother, Kerrie, who happens to live close by :)

She has chosen Moist Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Buttercream.
This cake menu has been on my cake menu for 2 years and no one has ever order it yet.
Although my family love it, I think it is quite new for other people.
So I am excited when she chosed Peanut Butter Buttercream!

Her son, Tom, is not fuss on what kind of cake decoration for his cake.  I suggested chocolate decoration in chocolate color.  It will be different if it was for a girl, I can put Butterflies, flowers, etc, you know... the girlie cake decoration.

So I came up with chocolate "gate" with swirlies pattern surrounding the square cake, filled the top with white chocolate shards, and melted chocolate with swirlies pattern too as the topper plus the wording.

First, of course, I baked the cake.  Let it cool completely, covered with cling wraps and aluminium foil, then into the fridge overnight to set the cake crumbs.  If not, cake crumbs will be "in the way" when I put buttercream on it.

She ordered 1 x 9" square cake, but since she will order a Wedding Cake next year for her daughter too, I gave her 10" as a compliment.

I prepared the cake board base and the cake board too on the first day.  Melt some dark chocolate in microwave then using silicon brush, brushed it on the cake board base.

The next day, I made Peanut Butter Buttercream.  Once finished, I covered it with cling wrap so it won't go "dried".  For 1 x 10" square cake, I need at least 9 cups of buttercream.



Then I took out the cake, torte it, filled and covered with buttercream.  Let the buttercream set in the fridge until I am ready to decorate it.

All of my cakes are 4" / 10 cm in height.
So I start by preparing the square pattern on a baking paper, make square shape 2 " / 5 cm x 5" / 12.5 cm in Height,
prepare large swirlies patterns,
then melting some white chocolate in the microwave,
apply the white chocolate on the patterns, then scrap it off, leaving melted white chocolate in the pattern.
I melted dark chocolate in a microwave, apply on top of the white chocolate, wait until the chocolate is almost dried, put the square pattern on it, using cleaned stainless steel ruler to create the chocolate shape and they looked like this:



After that, I put the swirlies pattern into the fridge for 15 minutes.  Took them out, then take the square one by one off the pattern mat.  Take the cake out too.  Immediately using melted chocolate, "glue" them one by one on the side of square cake.

Once that done, take a block of white chocolate, using sharp knife to make white chocolate shards and scattered them on top of the cake.

I melted some white chocolate in microwave, filled the letters and numbers chocolate mold with it, leave them in the freezer.

Still using the swirlies pattern mat, apply some melted dark chocolate on it, make sun shape, put the mat into the fridge for about 5 minutes, took it out, peel it off and put it on top of white chocolate shards.

Took letters and numbers chocolate mold from the freezer then tap them out.  Use melted white chocolate to  "glue" them on top of the sun-like shape dark chocolate.

Put brown fabric ribbon on the cake board base to complement the look of the cake.

And here is the final result:


I delivered this cake on 22nd December 2013.  When Kerrie open the cake box, she said "Oh, it's beautiful!  Thank you, Lena!"  You know what?  That is my "reward" :)  Yes, everytime my customer is happy whether it is direct compliment or via email, it will be my "reward" :)

Hope you had a great 21st birthday party, Tom.  And Thank you very much, Kerrie for your trust.   Look forward to working closely with your for your daughter, Louise's Wedding Cake in 2014!  :) x



Thank you for looking (^_^)








No comments:

Post a Comment